Battery Capacity Question for 2023 SE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samman523

Reaction score
Just got my hands on a 2023 SE and have a quick question about the battery. I just charged it up and Chargepoint showed I added 27.24 kWh, while my SE had 19% battery left before charging. Doing the math, it looks like a full charge from that point would be about 33.6 kWh. So does Mini let us use an extra ~4 kWh beyond the 32.6 kWh capacity? Or is this just a temporary boost before the battery degrades, with 28.9 kWh being the more realistic number for the warranty? Loving the car so far and just curious about how this all works!

According to my mechanic, a new battery can only store about 28.9 kilowatt-hours of electricity, even if the charging station indicates otherwise. Some energy is lost as heat during charging, reducing the amount of energy stored in the battery. The battery's ability to hold a charge decreases over time, implying that it will eventually store less energy than when new, resulting in a shorter driving range.

Join the Mini Cooper EV Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back