Is it really required to charge between 20% and 80% on my MINI?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reynaldo_

Reaction score
Quick question about charging electric vehicles! Is it best to keep the battery charged between specific levels, as we do with iPhones? Does constantly charging to 100% harm the battery's health?

This 20%-80% thing always sparks a debate when it comes to EVs and even to smartphones. While I haven't noticed any battery damage from charging to 100% in the past 4 years of owning an EV, it's still important to consider the possibility of slight degradation over time. I believe that it will reduce your overall battery range in the long run.

In the end, to each his own.

This 20%-80% thing always sparks a debate when it comes to EVs and even to smartphones. While I haven't noticed any battery damage from charging to 100% in the past 4 years of owning an EV, it's still important to consider the possibility of slight degradation over time. I believe that it will reduce your overall battery range in the long run.

In the end, to each his own.
I agree. Also, I think it's too short to be charging to 80% regularly, especially when you're doing long road trips. We're buying our car to enjoy it ;)

Join the Mini Cooper EV Community

Support, tutorials, and a friendly community

Back